Monday, December 04, 2006

I got that fire

Its a typical evening: I'm cooking carbonara, drinking some bourbon and listening to the new Jay-Z album. After crisping the bacon and sweating two cloves of garlic, I've got a nice little mix for my spaghetti noodles... and then the bright idea dawns on me: use that bourbon you're sipping to deglaze the pan. So I take a sip from the highball and toss half into the pan.. in midflight I remember I have a gas stove but, being it too late, the pan erupts into flames, pouring over the top of my microwave. Then, pulling some Backdraft style shit, I pull the pan off the range, and hold it until the flames subside, thereby saving my microwave from looking like some Gaudi-inspired bullshit. Of course the fire alarm in my apartment went off, but, as that was one of the coolest cooking experiences I've had lately, I've decided I'm deglazing everything from here on out.

Here's one of my favorite quotes from Kitchen Confidential that further illustrates the fun fire can bring here in the kitchen:

"We constructed our downstairs kitchen along familiar lines--as a faithful re-creation of the kitchens we'd grown up in: insular, chaotic, drenched in drugs and alcohol and accompanied by loud rock-and-roll music. When the restaurant opened, we'd begin every shift with a solemn invocation of the first moments of Apocalypse Now, our favorite movie. Emulating the title sequence, we'd play the soundtrack album, choppers coming in low and fast, the whirr of blades getting louder and more unearthly, and just before Jim Morrison kicked in with the first few words, "This is the end, my brand-new friend... the end..." we'd soak the entire range top with brandy and ignite it, causing a huge, napalm-like fireball to rush up into the hoods--just like in the movie when the tree line goes up. If our boobish owners and newly hired floor staff weren't already thoroughly spooked by our antics, then they were by this act"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home