Saturday, January 20, 2007

Much to say, no time now

I just wanted to jot this down before I lost it. I've been listening to Carolina in My Mind a lot lately for obvious reasons and did some research about when Taylor wrote the song. I knew he grew up in Chapel Hill and then moved to New England so, in that respect, I felt a sort of connection. What I found, however, brought the context of the song eerily closer to my personal experiences:

"I was recording that Apple album and I took a break and went to an island off the coast of Spain called Formentera. And I met a girl there named Karin, and she and I took a boat to the next island, which was Ibiza- a larger island. We were just walking around there and missed the last boat back and didn't have any money for a room and we stayed in the street that night and waited for next morning when the boat would run again... She was asleep... and I was up and... I was thinking about my home in North Carolina and what it meant and stuff and that just sort of came down out of the air."

Word, and I bet he was drinking Absinthe at Pacha too. WTF? Two summers ago Ben and I missed our boat out of Ibiza after partying all night. We spent hours in the harbor waiting for another boat. I just sat there nursing a massive hangover and listening to Old Crow Medicine Show which brought my thoughts to NC because I first heard that band with Hiram at the Cat's Cradle in Chapel Hill. I'd even be willing to bet that he was in the same city--Ibiza Town-- due to the fact that it's the port on the side of the island facing Formentera. I don't know.. that's a crazy coincidence. It just made me smile.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home